martedì 20 gennaio 2009

the hidden notebook

"For years I have kept a notebooknot strictly a diary, its entries were erratic and haphazardly writtenwhose contents I would not have particularly liked to be scrutinized by eyes other than my own. I had hidden it well out of sight in my house. I imply no scandalousness; the observations were far less rauncy, or wicked, or self revealing, than my desire to keep the notebook private might indicate. Nonetheless, the small volume was one that I fully intended to make use of professionally and then destroy before the distant day when the specter of the nursing home came too near. So as my illness worsened I rather queasily realized that if I once decided to get rid of the notebook that moment would necessarily coincide with my decision to put an end to myself. And one evening during early December this moment came."

William Styron: Darkness visible - A memoir of madness
Gallimard, Paris - 2000
pag. 160

Condividi su Facebook

2 commenti:

benvenuti nella nostra biblioteca. Benvenuti due volte se venite accompagnati da un libro!