martedì 21 ottobre 2008

perché Bruto, figlio mio?

"If there be any in this assembly, any dear friend of Caesar's, to him I say that Brutus' love to Caesar was no less than his. If then that friend demand why Brutus rose against Caesar, this is my answer: Not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rome more. Had you rather Caesar were living, and die all slaves, than that Caesar were dead, to live all free men? As Caesar loved me, I weep for him; as he was fortunate, I rejoice at it; as he was valiant, I honor him; but, as he was ambitious, I slew him. There is tears, for his love; joy, for his fortune; honour, for his value; and death for his ambition. Who is here so base, that would be a bondman? If any, speak; for him have I offended. Who is here so rude, that would not be a Roman? If any, speak; for him have I offended. Who is here so vile, that will not love his country? If any, speak; for him have I offended. I pause for a reply."

William Shakespeare: Julius Caesar
T.S. Dorsch, London - 1972

pagg. 78-79

catalogazione: una delle librerie in soggiorno

Condividi su Facebook

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

benvenuti nella nostra biblioteca. Benvenuti due volte se venite accompagnati da un libro!